[AFRINIC-rpd] PDP discussions

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Fri Jun 21 08:38:48 UTC 2013

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013, Andrew Alston wrote:
> So, let us look at an institution that has 20 thousand combined
> staff and students, and is already sitting on a /16 worth of
> space.
>
> The combined allocation they would qualify for under this policy
> is 20 * 5 = 100k IP addresses.

Would that be rounded up to a /15 (131072 addresses, equivalent
to using a multiplier of about 6.55:1 instead of 5:1), or rounded
down to a /16 (65536 addresses, equivalent to using a multiplier
of about 3.27:1), or a /16 plus a /17 (98304 addresses, equivalent
to a multiplier of 4.91:1), or something else agreed between the
applicant and AFRINIC?

My reading of the proposal is that the applicant could choose any
multiplier between 0 and 10, with multipliers less than or equal
to 5 being almost automatically accepted by AFRINIC, but with
larger multipliers requiring more justification.

--apb (Alan Barrett)