[AFRINIC-rpd] PDP discussions

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 08:10:32 UTC 2013

Hello Chris,

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 8:44 AM, Bope Domilongo Christian <
christianbope at gmail.com> wrote:

> According to Afrinic mission which is to serve the African region
> equitably and equally. I would like to request to Afrinic to provide the
> current IPV4 allow to all African Universities regionally.  My worry is
> Afrinic give all IPv4 remaining  to the same Universities and when other
> will came they will be not IPv4 and they will raised the question of
> equally distribution of IP in the education sectors in Africa and they will
> be frustrated.
>
> Speaking as able self (ofcourse not as co-chair as handing-over has not
happened :)

I identify your fear, however i believe that we have 2 scenarios here:

*First Scenario*
A university who already have resources and want to request for more based
on the new policy.
For this customer, i believe a justification of use of the resources they
currently have will be required before such new request will be considered
by AFRINIC officials (if this is not the case, then i wish to be clarified
on what is). Also it will be good to check whether the resource they
initially have did not indeed meet their ratio needs as per the new policy.
*
*
*Second Scenario*
A university who is just applying for resource for the first time:
This is where the advantage of the new policy will be most applicable and
yes i agree that some institutions in some countries may be fast enough to
put in their requests which could make the IP space more prominent in one
region than the other....perhaps it may be worth checking how some level of
fairness in distribution of the resource across the continent can be
achieved. However i think we still have to consider that you won't deny an
institution assignment just because there has been several request from the
particular region, especially if the institution meets the requirement for
assignment.

Perhaps its time for each country rep to do their homework with their
respective institutions ;)

Kind Regards
-

> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Alan Barrett <apb at cequrux.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 20 Jun 2013, Alan Barrett wrote:
>>
>>> The following policy proposals acheieved rough consensus [...]
>>>

>>  * Academic IPv4 Allocation
>>>  AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02
>>>  <http://www.afrinic.net/en/**community/policy-development/**
>>> policy-proposals/842-academic-**ipv4-allocation-afpub-2013-**
>>> gen-001-draft-02-under-**discussion<http://www.afrinic.net/en/community/policy-development/policy-proposals/842-academic-ipv4-allocation-afpub-2013-gen-001-draft-02-under-discussion>
>>> >

>> I am sorry, I forgot to mention some changes.
>>
>> 1. The staff analysis pointed out that the proposal used
>>   two terms "Academic Institution" and "Higher Education
>>   Institution".  The proposal will be modified to use a single
>>   term consistently.
>>
>> 2. Some people at the meeting said that some organisations might
>>   not want as many IPv4 addresses as are allowed by this
>>   proposal.  The proposal will be modified to make it clear that
>>   an organisation may apply for fewer addresses than the 5:1
>>   ratio would allow.
>>
>> Consensus at the meeting was that the proposal, duly modified to address
>> the above two points, should go to last call.
>>

>> --apb (Alan Barrett)
>>

> --
> Best Regards
> Christian Bope Domilongo