[AFRINIC-rpd] PDP discussions

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 07:53:42 UTC 2013

Hi There,

The requested modifications to the policy will follow during the course of
today or tomorrow.

Christian, I am attempting to understand your query here.

Under the policy going to last call, any University with proper academic
accreditation may apply for space under the same rules of the policy
irrespective of the location of the institution in the region.  Obviously
this is on a first come first service basis, and I do suspect that once this
policy passes final call, there will be a fair number of applications for
large blocks from African universities.  That being said, I believe it is
the responsibility of the academic community to make sure that Universities
are aware of this policy so that some do not get left behind by lack of
awareness of the policy.

With this in mind, I will be speaking to WACREN, UbuntuNet and various
NREN's to try and ensure that the end sites are all aware of this policy and
its implications so that they can choose if they take advantage of it or
not.  The policy will exist, it is however up to the individual universities
to choose if they take advantage of it or not, we cannot force IP's now the
throats of those who choose not to apply for it, nor can we disadvantage
those who DO choose to take advantage of it because some choose not to.

Andrew