[AFRINIC-rpd] Fwd: new proposal: "Remove requirement to announce entire v6 block as single aggregate"

Ernest ernest at afrinic.net
Wed May 15 10:06:38 UTC 2013

Hi Douglas,

Douglas Onyango wrote thus on 5/15/13 12:38 PM:
> Hi,
>
>> [3] Proposal
>> ----------------
>> We propose to delete the following sentence in section 6.1.1 (d)
>> from the IPv6 policy
>> “The LIR should also plan to announce the allocation as a single
>> aggregated block in the inter-domain routing system within twelve
>> months.”
>
> Whereas the author has gone to detail in documenting the problem which
> I interpret as mostly administrative (paperwork) for the AfriNIC, and
> financial for the applicant, the solution proposed solution doesn't
> have a direct correlation with the problem.

6.1.1(d) of afpub-2004-v6-001
http://afrinic.net/en/library/policies/122-afpub-2004-v6-001
states:

".. The LIR should also plan to announce the allocation as a single
aggregated block in the inter-domain routing system within twelve
months."

The way we internally interpret this:

If an LIR wants a /31 (or greater) IPv6 allocation that shall be
deaggregated and announced from different Autonomous Systems, such a
request would not be compliant with the above policy requirement and
would be rejected.

This is perhaps what the author is trying to address, but the author
is free to clarify further.

Regards,
Ernest.