[AFRINIC-rpd] AFRINIC Response to Government Calls for an Arab RIR

Stephen Wilcox steve.wilcox at ixreach.com
Wed Feb 27 17:15:10 UTC 2013

On 27 February 2013 16:53, SM <sm at resistor.net> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> At 08:17 26-02-2013, Stephen Wilcox wrote:
>
>> Current RIRs span geographic continent areas, whereas this seems to be
>> aimed towards a language and cultural zone which as is pointed out is
>> roughly MENA. An area that has
>>

> How many continents are there in the world?

Its not really important - my point was that current RIRs exist around
natural geographic areas rather than artificially defined political or
linguistic areas that may not be contiguous.

Actually, I rather wish the rest of my post had been commented on - this to
me is clearly a continuation of the political lobbying from the same groups
that caused the ITU WCIT meeting to split and it more about regulatory
control and monetization of the Internet.

Trying to carve out a region that would support this aim is similar to
changing national voting rules or boundaries to favour one parties view -
noting that the Arabic countries typically are more regulated and were
largely in favour of the proposal at WCIT.

See the map here:
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121214/14133321389/who-signed-itu-wcit-treaty-who-didnt.shtml

Steve