[AFRINIC-rpd] [AFRINIC-announce] AFRINIC Response to Government Calls for an Arab RIR

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Feb 26 20:05:46 UTC 2013

On Feb 26, 2013, at 11:16 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> Because i see other requests coming all along the line , China, India, might or can also say that they represent by the size of their population , a raisonnable RIR, and Australia and/or Russia will raise the same issue regarding he size of the country.
>
> Without expressing an opinion (I don't have a fully formed opinion to express at this time), as a point of information, China and India both have NIRs under the APNIC NIR structure. Since APNIC is HQ in AU, I doubt there's much push from AU to secede from APNIC and form their own region. I don't know of any such desire within Russia to leave RIPE NCC either.

Historically speaking, there have been numerous proposals for the creation of new RIRs.  In the APNIC region, there was an effort to create a "South Asia NIC", centered in Kuala Lumpur (IIRC). In the RIPE-NCC region, there have been several efforts to create a Russia NIC or, more generally, a "CIS NIC" comprised of the Commonwealth of Independent States.  There has also been discussion of the establishment of a Caribbean NIC.

None of these efforts got very far and my personal view was that they were driven either by politics internal to the region in question and/or unhappiness by decisions made by the respective RIRs.

Regards,
-drc