[AFRINIC-rpd] AFRINIC Response to Government Calls for an Arab RIR

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Feb 26 18:27:46 UTC 2013

Seun,

On Feb 26, 2013, at 9:10 AM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm... interesting will those be within the /8s.... perhaps they want RIR for the V6.

I may be overly cynical (who me?) but I suspect they want an RIR for cultural/linguistic/political reasons, not technical ones.

> Come to think of it, in terms of continents i have not heard of Arab continent.

ICP-2 doesn't require actual continents.  The actual wording is:

"The proposed RIR must operate internationally in a large geographical region of approximately continental size."

> What are the basis for this request,

I suspect it is similar to the basis used for the establishment of APNIC, LACNIC, and AfriNIC -- a desire to serve a particular "continental sized" community.  It is not necessarily related to unhappiness with the RIR service folks in that area are already getting, e.g., were folks in African nations unhappy with the service they were getting from RIPE-NCC and ARIN before AfriNIC was established?

Regards,
-drc