[AFRINIC-rpd] Re: Address Supporting Organization (was: Request to recall Emile Milandou as PDWG co-chair)

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 20:06:28 UTC 2013

Hi SM,
On 22 February 2013 22:33,  <sm+afrinic at elandsys.com> wrote:
> The fact that the region ended up being the last one was unintentional.  My
> guess is that the probability of survival of the proposal increased because
> of a chat with someone on a beach.  It's unlikely that the person is
> subscribed to this mailing list.
I guess I must have been too fixed on process adherence :-) totally
missed this part.

> I don't know what perspectives from the region have been brought in.  I
> doubt that the subscribers to this mailing list have been informed about any
> perspective.

Fundamentally while engaging in any discussion, the expectation is
that ASO members would understand the viewpoints of their regions on
certain issues and try to advance them or support any supportive
ideas, they will also oppose those that are not consistent with their
regional views. nonetheless all this will be done with due regard to
the global nature of their role

> There has only been one global policy in the last few years.  The role
> played in global policy development is debatable. :-)

Yes you are right, we have had only one global policy in a few years,
but I don't this doesn't make the role of the ASO debatable --- if you
read the objectives in their entirety, the ASO is serving its role
pretty well. I will paste the objectives here for everyone one's sake:

2. Objective
The Address Council was established to perform the following tasks:

- Undertake a role in the global policy development process as
described in Attachment A of the ASO MoU.
- Provide recommendations to the Board of ICANN concerning the
recognition of new RIRs, according to agreed
requirements and policies as currently described in ICANN Policy 2.
- Define procedures for selection of individuals to serve on other
ICANN bodies, in particular on the ICANN Board, and
implement any roles assigned to the Address Council in such procedures.
- Provide advice to the Board of ICANN on number resource allocation
policy, in conjunction with the RIRs.
- Develop procedures for conducting business in support of their
responsibilities, in particular for the appointment of
an Address Council Chair and definition of the Chair’s
responsibilities. The ASO MoU requires all such procedures to be
submitted to the Executive Council of the Number Resource Organization
for approval.

>  "draft a Problem Statement regarding Secretariat Rotation
>   received comments regarding document destruction
>   circulate proposed changes to procedure-changing criteria to ASO AC OP"
> I don't know about you but nothing in the above sounds like global debate
> material to me.

I will take 'global debate' here above to mean global policy debate,
and respond in the affirmative, none of the points here are about
global policy development. However, you have to read the rest of the
objectives of the ASO (above) to understand that there is more than
policy development in the JD of the ASO.

After reading the objectives, I guess you will also start to see the
linkages between everyone of the points in the meeting and the
objectives of the ASO.

Douglas Onyango | +256-772-712 139 | Twitter: @ondouglas
Life is the educator's practical joke in which you spend the first
half learning, and the second half learning that everything you
learned in the first was a joke.