[AFRINIC-rpd] Re: Address Supporting Organization (was: Request to recall Emile Milandou as PDWG co-chair)

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Fri Feb 22 19:33:43 UTC 2013

Hi Douglas,
At 10:36 22-02-2013, Douglas Onyango wrote:
>changes were required on policies. This is my recollection on how this
>policy survived going back to all 4 RIRs for discussion and how the
>clarification you mention above was sought.

The fact that the region ended up being the last one was
unintentional.  My guess is that the probability of survival of the
proposal increased because of a chat with someone on a beach.  It's
unlikely that the person is subscribed to this mailing list.

>This is a tricky question, but I will attempt to response as beast I
>know:  From its very mandate, the ASO plays a role in global policy
>development -- from this angle, the answer would be nothing.  the ASO
>doesn't do anything specifically for Africa --- Africa is not in the
>mandate of the ASO :-)
>That-being-said, the regional representation (Africa inclusive) of the
>ASO ensures perspective from the regions are brought into the global
>debate

I don't know what perspectives from the region have been brought
in.  I doubt that the subscribers to this mailing list have been
informed about any perspective.

There has only been one global policy in the last few years.  The
role played in global policy development is debatable. :-)  From the
January minutes:

  "draft a Problem Statement regarding Secretariat Rotation

   received comments regarding document destruction

   circulate proposed changes to procedure-changing criteria to ASO AC OP"

I don't know about you but nothing in the above sounds like global
debate material to me.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy