[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

gift gift at itibots.com
Mon Feb 11 13:06:47 UTC 2013

Doug

+ And to add that all these issues fall in the domain of administration
for which the board and management already have a mandate, to adopt the
best strategies and practices required to implement policies efficiently
i.e recruitment, training, systems and processes, SLAs etc.

Like Seun asks, was the response from ari, AfriNIC official or unofficial?

GS

On 11/02/2013 07:41 AM, Douglas Onyango wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Because of that, people take time to find and provide the information requested. The team manages not only resources requests but also any other queries relating to resource management, recording assignments, utilisation of WHOIS, MYAFRINIC, Reverse DNS etc. As a result Member Services staff do spend time responding to and asking questions because of documentation provided in other languages also. They spend time explaining what the bylaws and RSA wording mean, they spend time checking into authenticity of material provided in English and other languages.
>> And believe me you; I have seen cases of blatant fraud for the past 5 months that I have been around or simple manufacturing of bad stories about AFRINIC’s work. The work behind is not as simple as people think and rambling and complaining are counterproductive when people think only of themselves and isolated cases. AFRINIC is a community and members driven organisation and we are here, committed to serve you all.
>>
>> Granted, there were issues of material that was asked for in particular cases that was perceived as intrusion and waste of time. Let me say that I actually support our RS team as this was a pattern of the same person asking resources for several different institutions and not providing what our RS team thought should be asked for. This has been taken care of and strict adherence to what policies ask for has been implemented.
>>
>> One way to deal with timeliness of responses may be to devise a ticket number that is also a queue number. We are looking into that. This will mean that all know that they will be responded to in the order their request came in. I do believe we have to stop the constant interference I have been seeing from all places on AFRINIC staff that results on RS team lack of concentration and
>> loss of productivity often.
>>
>> Even before the complaints, we were reviewing processes internally and have corrected some of the perceived and actual issues, without jeopardising our adherence to policies. AFRINIC shall do what we have to do, be it SLAs or other things needed to make sure our processes are of help to our membership.
>>
>> We reiterate our commitment to make the registration process as smooth and as easy as it can get considering our policies. We are putting processes in place for that and I am here pleading for members and community’s help in telling us what they believe should be in place for the work that we do to be of help to them. For that to happen, we also plead for objective and non-passionate escalation of ‘issues’ given that we have a mechanism for that (and not privately talk to staff because people personally know them) if people perceive they are being treated unfairly/untimely by staff.

>>> 3.1.1) Proof of Institution's registration/accreditation
>>> 3.1.2) Proof of the number of registered full time students