[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Maina Noah mainanoa at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 17:51:34 UTC 2013

On 4 February 2013 17:31, Andrew Alston <alston.networks at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok Maina,****
>
> **

Hi Andrew,

> ** **
>
> I still do not understand the problem with having a maximum of 1:5 is with
> no minimum is, particularly considering that as stated by many people on
> this list, we need to increase the burn rate and make it easier to access
> space for those who need it, and considering the growth factors all over
> the continent as demonstrated in previous emails.  Can you please explain
> exactly what the problem with having this maximum is when people have the
> option to specify lower?  ****
>
> **

Here is what i am saying an and i hope you get it now. The issue here
should not be the IP allocation ratio because if that will be the case, we
will come back to the drawing board tomorrow to try and draft another
proposal for 1:10 after the 1:5 can no longer suit our needs in the near
future.

To avoid such a situation  how about we work on finding a way of making
life easier in the case where a University that needs more IP's can get
them without any issues for as long as they justify the need.

NOTE: We have different LIR's across this continent and each of them
applies for allocation based on their need. Supposed it was compulsory for
each LIR to get a specific assignment, say a /16, then it would mean even a
small ISP with less that 1000 customers would get such a huge allocation
and just seat on it because the policy allows it. No No No.... get small
and grow with it. Get Big and grow with it. There should not be any kind of
formula.

if the issue is AfriNIC's policing when it comes to IP allocation process,
then how about we raise our concerns to them since they work for us and we
are the bosses and make sure we fix that and everyone is happy. Are they
being had???? then lets draft a policy which would make life easier '-)

**

> Andrew****
>
> **

Maina