[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Maina Noah mainanoa at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 17:40:58 UTC 2013

On 4 February 2013 18:50, Andrew Alston <alston.networks at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nii,
>
> Why doesn't AfriNIC then commit to fixing the subjectivity involved in
> evaluation of applications, commit to accepting when Universities specify
> ratios, commit to accepting that documentation supplied by Universities as
> signed off by legitimate University IT departments and University senior
> managers is accurate, commit to accepting that they have no role themselves
> in determining a ratio based on how many AP's a university has, commit to
> accepting they have no basis for determining concurrency themselves based
> on
> zero experience in such environments?

Ok now you are talking and i hope the entire community shares the
same frustration and sentiments in regards
to the way AfriNIC handles the allocation process...

> If AfriNIC is prepared to do those things, and accept that when a
> University
> says "I have X infrastructure, I am out on procurement for Y
> infrastructure,
> I have a student base of Z, and my ratios are currently trending towards A,
> therefore I need this many IP's", that it is accurate and truthful since it
> is signed off by University senior management, without argument and debate
> and delays, then I'd be prepared to withdraw the policy.  Until then
> however, until we remove the completely and total subjectivity of analysis
> of network infrastructure by AfriNIC, I stand by this policy.

So how about we work on refining a policy that mitigates the above without
basing the argument on IP allocation
ratios but also keeping in mind the fact that AfriNIC should still have
some sort of mandate to police the allocation but not
militarize the whole process which seems to be the case according to your
experience with them.

> Andrew

Maina