[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 15:50:40 UTC 2013

Nii,

Why doesn't AfriNIC then commit to fixing the subjectivity involved in
evaluation of applications, commit to accepting when Universities specify
ratios, commit to accepting that documentation supplied by Universities as
signed off by legitimate University IT departments and University senior
managers is accurate, commit to accepting that they have no role themselves
in determining a ratio based on how many AP's a university has, commit to
accepting they have no basis for determining concurrency themselves based on
zero experience in such environments?

If AfriNIC is prepared to do those things, and accept that when a University
says "I have X infrastructure, I am out on procurement for Y infrastructure,
I have a student base of Z, and my ratios are currently trending towards A,
therefore I need this many IP's", that it is accurate and truthful since it
is signed off by University senior management, without argument and debate
and delays, then I'd be prepared to withdraw the policy.  Until then
however, until we remove the completely and total subjectivity of analysis
of network infrastructure by AfriNIC, I stand by this policy.

The policy lets a university analyze its needs and it's infrastructure,
rather than leaving that in the hands of hostmasters who have never worked
in such environments and are not technically equipped to do a proper
analysis.

Andrew