[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 08:04:26 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 11:45 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> Perhaps, though I will say I have seen the wifi network get saturated at
> AfriNIC conferences.
>
> Now AFRINIC conferences is an example that does not apply to many as you
don't get that much bandwidth organisations in this region.

>  and anything north of about 200 is virtually unusable at 5Ghz.
>>>
>>> Who runs 200 users on 5ghz by the way ;)
>>

>> I run lots of users on 5Ghz. Almost all Apple products (iPhone being the
>> notable exception) have
>> 5Ghz capability.
>>
>> Considering the limited range, fewer standards, and limited supported
> access devices all which increases cost of implementation. Most in my
> region don't use 5ghz for access devices, hence it was kinda strange to me
> ;)
>

> I'm not sure what you mean. 2.4Ghz has 802.11b/g/n and anyone using
> current technology is using n, nobody still uses b, do they?

But a lot still uses G

> 5Ghz has 802.11a/n and while hardly anyone uses 802.11a, 802.11n is quite
> popular and vastly superior to 2.4Ghz 802.11n.
>
> In terms of range, the shorter range is an advantage when dealing with
> dense populations. In areas of low population density,
> 5Ghz actually travels as well and in some cases better than 2.4Ghz. For
> example, 5Ghz will penetrate stucco walls better than
> 2.4Ghz because the chicken wire used to support the stucco is often
> smaller than 1/4 wavelength at 23cm, but not at 12cm.
>
> Yeah but we've got bricks/concrete walls ;-)

So, depending on your circumstances, you can actually get better distance
> performance from 5Ghz. Further, 5Ghz has a much tighter fresnel zone with
> directional antennas, so you can gain much better advantages on
> line-of-sight point to point
> links.

Yeah hence the reason why its mostly used for point to point/ long distance
connectivity

> Most modern access points of any quality in my region these days are
> dual-band. More and more, what is the term we're using now... photabtops
> are coming with dual-band radios as well.

Actually i am curious to really know about this photabtops (google does not
even about of it)

> At least in the US, there is virtually no difference in cost between 2.4,
> 5, or dual-band any more.
>
> Yeah overall the environment can matter a lot

Cheers!

> Owen

*Seun Ojedeji,
Federal University Oye-Ekiti