[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 21:54:18 UTC 2013

Hi McTim,

> So HEI are EndUsers (getting PI space) in all cases, correct?

No, they have the option to apply as LIR's but the policy would not apply to
them if they did that.  The policy specifically states that under this
policy, users are considered PI if they apply under it, it does NOT preclude
them being LIR's.

> They already get a significant discount, correct?

Correct, academic institutions get discounted PI space

> So if a HEI gets a block of EndUser space, then they need more, they won't
be billed for both blocks??

Incorrect, unless AfriNIC's fee structure is inaccurate in what it states:

As per the fee-structure: End-site organisations have to become AFRINIC
members to get resource assignments and pay for each assignment according to
the size of IP block requested

The billing according to the fee structure would be billed separately for
each separate allocation. (And since that structure does not differentiate
between one off and annual payments, it can be assumed that it applies to
both)

Thanks

Andrew

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Badru Ntege <ntegeb at one2net.co.ug> wrote:
> Andrew
>
> On Jan 27, 2013, at 10:04 PM, "Andrew Alston" <alston.networks at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Hi Badru,
>>
>> 100% agreed, however, in order to draft accordingly I need to know if
>> we are operating outside of the mandate of the PDP in putting clauses
>> to prevent such double billing from happening or not?
>>

> Not sure but i the PDP was created by the community so if it is not
working for you then suggest a modification and if the community is ok with
it change happens.