[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 18:31:52 UTC 2013

Hello Badru,
On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 7:03 PM, Badru Ntege <ntegeb at one2net.co.ug> wrote:

> I don't think it should even be a thing of discussion that institution
> will present forged names of admitted students just for the sake of getting
> more allocation...perhaps what i think can be a thing for discussion is a
> scenario where institution request for resource based on population but
> don't actually have enough infrastructure to support the population's
> device demands.
> In a scenario as such then a minimum requirement should be stated...for
> instance it can be that "an institution must provide proof of
> infrastructure(up to access layer) that supports up to 60% of the IP
> resource requested".
>

> I never said an institution would present forged names, maybe the message
> was not clear.  the intention of the message was in a senario where a
> university registers many students which then justifies allocations which
> are not used due to either the lack of networking resources, or where
> institutions have many part time students that make up a big number but
> actually are never at the institution at the same time.

Thank you for providing more clarification to what you meant; it then mean
we are on the same page on this one ;) the scenario you have actually now
referred to is also related to what i painted in my mail before this. It is
very practical that Institutions will definately not have enough
infrastructure to meet the demand of her community (staff and students) the
timing of admission and funds restrictions may be some of the reasons for
such a situation.

However,

>  (And there was a suggested formula for working this out earlier on this
> thread) but all this creates a big (virtual ) student body.

Personally i am not in support of such a formula and i don't think such a
formula should hold so long as a student or staff is a "on-site member" of
the institution he/she should be counted as whole, irrespective of whether
the students or staff are part-time or full time. Comes to think of it,
there are many other people within the university community that were not
considered, such as guests and family members(for those that lives in staff
quarters) so IMHO the excess of the part-timers will hopefully cover for
those.

The only funtime/partime individual that i think we don't necessarily have
to consider are those that are totally off-site (online learners/tutors)

Also technically speaking, i believe most of the institution will run some
kind of dynamic address assignment and ofcourse those assignment will have
lease period...which will mean that even though a part time student came in
the morning to use the network and left....it does not necessarily mean
that the IP address he/she used is available in the evening to another
person(depending on the lease time set)

I think to get a good and sustainable solution we have to explore all
> possibilities good and bad.  However this is not a suggestion that anyone
> is planning to do that.
>
> Why not?

Regards