[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Badru Ntege ntegeb at one2net.co.ug
Sun Jan 27 14:16:42 UTC 2013

:-)

Sunday

Thanks for your reply.  My questions are for clarification.

On Jan 27, 2013, at 4:54 PM, Sunday Folayan <sfolayan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Chair,
>
>> My brain has failed to understand the concept of allocating IP's based on student population.
>> This policy could be open to abuse.  Just build up a student population, multiply by 5 and then go the the RIR and get the resources.  Before we know it we have legitimized resource hoarding.
>
> First, a confession .... Where I come from, we allocate resources by population and land mass ... Isn't IP a resource? ;)

again forgive my ignorance here but are we proposing that this be the way forward ?? if so lets make it clear.  My understanding and I'm prepared to be corrected if I'm wrong we have historically allocated by intended use i.e network plan and not population else as Africa we would be already sitting on a big chunk of the IP resources.

the 5:1 ratio has been well argued and eloquently defended and explained.  But as earlier stated it introduces the flaw.

> Seriously, You need to read this thread from the beginning and get to know what led to this proposal by Andrew and Yours truly (Senor Domingo).

I have read and followed the thread and stated areas i feel need to be refined.  In principle i have no problem with a policy that makes resources available for academia, but i would rather have a defendable proposal with all holes plugged than a passionately presented proposal with flaws.

> We are exploring ways of putting a resource with a short shelf life and high level of attraction to pirates and brokers, into use, and within the next 2 years. If you are tempted to think of it as hoarding, then call it "legitimate burn".

I believe with continued dialogue and ideas on the list we can get to a better point where the above two options are not necessary.  They only become necessary when we don't fix the flaws.

for the record in principle I'm in  support