[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 13:55:41 UTC 2013

Hello Badru,

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Badru Ntege <ntegeb at one2net.co.ug> wrote:

> My brain has failed to understand the concept of allocating IP's based on
> student population.

For the case of a university...who else will use the IPs if not the
students and staff? hence the reason for basing the allocation of IP on
them.

This policy could be open to abuse.  Just build up a student
> population,multiply by 5 and then go the the RIR and get the resources.
>  Before we know it we have legitimized resource hoarding.

Still puzzled but open to enlightenment.

> I really don't see how abuse will happen through the scenario you have
painted above. Why a university will make up false students just in other
to get more IP resource (and ofcourse pay more for it), it just does not
add up and its not worth it at all.....There are procedures that candidates
undergo before they are recognised as admitted students and the records are
there!

I don't think it should even be a thing of discussion that institution will
present forged names of admitted students just for the sake of getting more
allocation...perhaps what i think can be a thing for discussion is a
scenario where institution request for resource based on population but
don't actually have enough infrastructure to support the population's
device demands.
In a scenario as such then a minimum requirement should be stated...for
instance it can be that "an institution must provide proof of
infrastructure(up to access layer) that supports up to 60% of the IP
resource requested".

Regards

*Seun Ojedeji,
Federal University Oye-Ekiti