[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Badru Ntege ntegeb at one2net.co.ug
Sun Jan 27 13:05:26 UTC 2013

Hi SM

I like it when you give me simple easy questions to answer.

On Jan 26, 2013, at 12:07 PM, SM <sm at resistor.net> wrote:

> I'll try and restate what you said in the first paragraph.  University A and B each have 10,000 persons.   University A has the resources to build a network to service these 10,000 persons.  University B does not have the resources to build a network to service these 10,000 persons.  If I use population count as a measure I would be giving 50,000 IP addresses to University A and 50,000 IP addresses University B.
>
> University B is using 5,000 IP addresses only and 45,000 IP addresses are not utilized.  The amount of free IP addresses for the region reaches a level where I cannot provide IP addresses to University C which has a population of 5,000 persons.  Somebody points out that there are 45,000 IP addresses not being utilized at University B.  I cannot do anything about it.
>
> The questions are:
>
> (a) Should I fix the non-utilization problem?
>
> (b) Is it possible for me to fix the non-utilization problem?

Yes do not create non-utilzation problem the problem by asking IP allocation based on student population.  As for the allocation based on actual planned network.

My brain has failed to understand the concept of allocating IP's based on student population.
This policy could be open to abuse.  Just build up a student population, multiply by 5 and then go the the RIR and get the resources.  Before we know it we have legitimized resource hoarding.

Still puzzled but open to enlightenment.