[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jan 25 16:54:34 UTC 2013

On Jan 25, 2013, at 4:19 AM, Badru Ntege <ntegeb at one2net.co.ug> wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2013, at 1:00 AM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I have never seen any student or person with a need for 5 IPs at the
>> same instant. This also is waste.
>>

>> Its not students really needing those IPs but rather their devices.
>
> Which are not part of the academical institution

That's not necessarily true…

>> Here is the Scenario, a student who has 2 mobile phones (1 android and the other blackberry) both wireless enabled, one laptop, and one ipad ;)
>> By default, he/she turns the wireless features at intermediates, but the fact is they never remember to turn one off before switching to another. Even if they did turn off one for the other, depending on the lease time in use on your network, their is almost a 90% assurance that the newly turned on device will not be assigned the IP of the former device hence a new IP will be required.
>
> So question is we want to give the IP's to the university for academic reasons.  The two phones are provided by a commercial network operator who already has IP's.  Why is the university wanting to get involved here.   Then at the same time the university will ask for concessions.

Consider that we are rapidly trending towards a world where the average person has with them a laptop tablet, and smartphone. All of these devices, in addition to any cellular carrier addresses they may use also has a wifi interface which will consume addresses from the university's address pool. That's 3 per student just in the wireless environment. Now consider that computer labs, library computers, and other infrastructure to support students is becoming more and more a consumer of IP addresses. (including things like card access systems, point of sale systems in stores, cafeterias, etc.), etc.

Yes, 5 may be a bit generous by today's standards, but I don't think it's unreasonably generous.

> How about we focus on just the acadmical infrastructure and if we want to go the the BYOD (bring your own device) just offer this to one device which will hopefully be the laptop or tablet device.

Limiting BYOD to one device is absurd these days.