[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Fri Jan 25 14:46:36 UTC 2013

Hi all, Badru,

On 1/25/2013 3:19 PM, Badru Ntege wrote:
> So question is we want to give the IP's to the university for academic
> reasons.  The two phones are provided by a commercial network operator who
> already has IP's.  Why is the university wanting to get involved here.
> Then at the same time the university will ask for concessions.
>
> How about we focus on just the acadmical infrastructure and if we want to
> go the the BYOD (bring your own device) just offer this to one device which
> will hopefully be the laptop or tablet device.

I believe a Wifi network provided by an university inside its facilities is
part of their academic mission and has nothing to do with a "commercial
network operator".
Thus (students') devices are using the academic network.... contributing to
the institution's justification.

Am I seeing something wrong?
If it's BYOD - why is it not BYODs (devices)? Why "one"?

Frank