[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 08:41:08 UTC 2013

Hello SM,
On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 1:15 AM, SM <sm at resistor.net> wrote:

> Hi Seun,
>
> At 14:20 24-01-2013, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
>
>> Hmmm...i think the past few years has witnessed major bandwidth boost
>> across the continent (at least for the intra/inter-continent cables)
>>

> Here's some numbers from a few months ago:
>
>  GIXA   16 Mb/s
>  JINX   11 Gb/s
>  KIXP    2 Gb/s
>  MEIX   26 Kb/s
>  MIX    (no information available)
>  MIXP   (no information available)
>  RINEX  99 Mb/s
>  UiXP   35 Kb/s

Just to state that the bandwidth boost i refer is not from IXP..i was
referring to the continental internet submarine cables that landed in
different countries in the last few years. Nevertheless i also think there
are some progress with IXPs in Africa although i agree that the rate ain't
as much

>  Okay, perhaps further clarifying what you mean here could help.
>>

> I'll comment off-list.

will respond

>  Just curious any specific obvious reason for the  !(NG and ZA) filter ;)
>> If i may guess, will this be because of the number of Institution in the 2
>> countries? if that is the case, i think it will improve consumption of v4
>> and encourage v6 deployment. However, it should not matter whether all the
>> 50 universities all come from the same country.
>>

> The short answer is that it is a proposal for the region.  If the 50
> universities all come from the same country it may mean that the some
> people in that country are building up their universities.

You will agree with me that this does not count....resources are assigned
based on application, and we should not say because we have more request
from a particular region then a policy should not fly(especially a policy
as this)

 Hmmm...using Internet Exchange Point as a condition may automatically
>> disqualify some countries that does not even have an IXP....if you meant to
>> say ISP then i agree
>>

> It depends how a person looks at it.
>
> I think we also need to agree on what the goal of this policy is....for me
having connection to IXP is the least of the goals. (ways to encourage
people to connect to IX should be explored)

Regards

> Regards,
> -sm

*Seun Ojedeji,