[AFRINIC-rpd] IPv4 Address Allocation and Assignment proposal

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 06:12:31 UTC 2013

Hi SM,

My take on this situation is this, the community has indicated over the last
few days/weeks that there are problems with the current assignment policies
(well, that's my take on it).

The solution here is however, not necessarily to take the old policies and
simply rehash them and make minor changes (and some pretty major ones in the
case of your policy), the solution I believe would be to actually start
fresh, with a policy that is more up to date, reflects the current
status-quo in the industry and the community, and then from a fresh document
make changes.

As such, having carefully read through much of what has been on this list in
recent times, I will have a first stab at this and will submit a counter
proposal within the next 48 hours for the communities consideration.  As
always, the will of the community must take precedence of course.

For myself, I evaluate my stance on any policy in the following manner (and
I realize this is subjective and a personal way of looking at things)

a.) Does the policy address problems that exist and affect the community at
large, or a large enough segment of the community to warrant its existence.
b.) Does the policy promote open, fair and equitable access to resources
across the continent
c.) Does the policy promote community control of the resources, or does it
promote control similar to that which the ITU would love to see and
advocated for in Dubai late last year.
d.) Does the policy promote internet growth in the region or potentially
hamper it in any way (including, but not limited to, driving up the costs)
e.) Is the policy open and transparent about its true intentions, or merely
a disguised way to achieve a specific goal that promotes interests outside
of the African community at large.

In my view, your policy fails on points (b) (c) and (d), as do many of the
other clauses existent in our current policy documents.  Hence why I am
advocating for a replacement policy.

Thanks

Andrew