[AFRINIC-rpd] IPv4 Address Allocation and Assignment proposal

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Tue Jan 22 23:02:12 UTC 2013

Hi Andrew,
At 14:40 22-01-2013, Andrew Alston wrote:
>I have to say your comments inline having read through them do
>nothing to actually endear my support for this policy.  They
>indicate what I think has been highlighted time and again on this
>list in the last few weeks, the requirements to get IP space from
>AfriNIC at the moment are complex and difficult and rigorous.  There
>have been multiple people who have commented that perhaps a
>loosening of the reigns is necessary and a change in existing policy
>is necessary to increase the current burn rate.  What this policy
>does is take everything that is negative about the current policy,
>duplicate it into a more modern policy and add more negative aspects.

I'll comment below.

>Just because its in current policy does NOT mean that its
>necessarily sane and is no justification for using it in a new,
>draconian, complex and dangerous policy that could have extremely
>dangerous implications

Yes.

The proposal is not about the current policy being sane.  The text in
the proposal is a starting point.  You have highlighted that the
requirements to get IPv4 address space is difficult and
rigorous.  One alternative is to come up a proposal to decrease the
hurdles.   This means reviewing what's there now (which you have been
doing) and suggesting text changes.  I am not suggesting keeping the
negative aspects.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy