[AFRINIC-rpd] Academic IPv4 Allocation Policy Second Draft (AFPUB-2013-GEN-001-DRAFT-02)

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 21:50:39 UTC 2013

Hello Andrew,

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 9:29 PM, Andrew Alston <alston.networks at gmail.com>wrote:

> 3.2) This policy applies a ratio to a head count of campus users, where
> the number of campus users is calculated using a formula of full time
> students + full time employees + (part time students * 0.5)

We are getting closer...however i think we have not yet arrived at the
appropriate formula ;) I don't see the justification for the formula that
have given need for the 0.5 for part time students. My argumenet is;
whether the student is part time or not, whenver he/she comes on the
network he get assigned a single (full IP) and so there would be no basis
for reducing the actual number of part-time students to 50%. Actually as a
matter of fact, there is the chance that part time students may even stay
longer on the network than the full timers....due to the flexible timing
schedule they may have.
Similarly i don't think adding full time to the employees will be
applicable....some lecturers are on contract basis, and so cannot be
refeered to as full timers. In view of all this, i am reccommending a
re-wording as follows

.....a formula of full time students + employees + on site part time
students

3.4) For the purposes of this policy, the roll-out of IPv6 can only be
> considered to be a true IPv6 roll-out *PLAN*, if IPv6 is extended to the
> edge of the network, beyond just the core/server infrastructure.
>

> 3.6) While 3.4 defines a minimum accepted ratio for which the
> justification is clearly defined in 3.1, *applications based on a ratio
> as high as 10:1 shall be given due consideration and should be approvedunless the justification for such increased ratio is believed by AfriNIC
> staff to be specious or fraudulent in nature.*

I am not sure about the "should be approved" part....perhaps it can read as
thus:

...applications based on a ratio as high as 10:1 will be considered for
approval by the Afrinic staff based on the justification provided by the
applicant.

> 3.7) HEIs will be classified as End Users under this policy, on provision
> of a duly authorized letter from the institution management stating that
> address space allocated will not be used outside of the campus/academic
> environment.

I don't think there is a need for 3.7 since it is no longer a debate on
whether HEIs is an End user or not.

3.9) Since any HEI that has a large base of registered students and full
> time staff, has to, by the very nature of their function, have *networking
> * equipment on campus, this policy dispenses for the need for a HEI to
> provide *detailed* proof of *the* equipment and infrastructure.

Regards

****

> 4.1) Revision History (For all but the first draft):****
>
> Version 1 – Added 3.1.3 to include justification of employee count. Added
> a new point 3.2 and 3.4, meaning that sequential numbering changed, where
> the original 3.2 became 3.3, 3.4 became 3.5, 3.6 was a new point, meaning
> original 3.6 -> 3.8 became 3.7 -> 3.9. Added 3.2 to define the calculation
> of head count to which the address ratio calculation is applied.  Modified
> 3.5 to change the ratio from 1:3 to 1:5 as per requests from the RPD list.
> Added 3.6 to allow for allocations larger than the de-facto 1:5 ratio  upon
> submission of additional documentation, while maintaining the need for
> minimal justification if the ratio applied for did not exceed the 1:5
> mark.  ****
>
> ** **

*Seun Ojedeji,
Federal University Oye-Ekiti