[AFRINIC-rpd] New Policy Proposal: Inter RIR IPv4 Address Transfers (AFPUB-2013-V4-001-DRAFT-01)

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 15:55:14 UTC 2013

Hi Chad,

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 9:43 AM, Chad <chad at logicweb.com> wrote:
> There’s nothing wrong with my previous response. Facts are facts.

correct, you are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

The fact is that I have never seen you post to this list before, so i
googled you and the facebook page was one of the results.  It reveals
your motivation for authoring this proposal, at least that is one
interpretations of the fact that you are an address space broker.

Scrutiny
> is one thing, ignorant claims is another. Business is business. We’re all
> here to make money

This is actually not a fact either.  Some (if not most) are here on
this list to provide stewardship to address space and other Internet
resources.

, the right way. Am I doing it the wrong way? No I am not.

> People need to get their facts right before they scrutinize someone or
> belittle their motivation. Show me one legitimate reason why legacy IPs
> should not be transferrable to another RIR.

Many were transferred under the ERX project IIRC.

BUt in answwer to your query, RFC2050 says:

"IP addresses are valid as long as the criteria continues to be met.
   The IANA reserves the right to invalidate any IP assignments once it
   is determined the the requirement for the address space no longer
   exists.  In the event of address invalidation, reasonable efforts
   will be made by the appropriate registry to inform the organization
   that the addresses have been returned to the free pool of IPv4
   address space."

There are earlier RFCs as well, 1261, 1366 and 1466 and others that
list best practices in Internet resource management.

In summary, IP address distribution is supposed to be done on a
cost-recovery basis, not a for-profit basis, but many ISPs use IP
address assignment as a profit center.

They are legacy, they are not
> controlled by the RIR (AfriNIC here) so they cannot be assigned to anyone by
> the RIR itself anyway.

Is your proposal about legacy space or all space?

--
Cheers,

McTim