[AFRINIC-rpd] policy amendment proposal

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Nov 27 18:11:54 UTC 2012

Ernest,

On Nov 26, 2012, at 11:49 PM, Ernest - (AfriNIC) <ernest at afrinic.net> wrote:
> A possible explanation is that more very small allocations and
> assignments were issued in 2012 compared to 2011, but we can look
> more into this internally for exact numbers if needed.

Not necessary for my purposes (although understanding the numbers are probably interesting from a exhaustion projection perspective). I was mostly interested to see what the potential impact on the IPv4 consumption rate would be as a result of the new gTLD program.  Given a consumption rate roughly between 20,000 and 40,000 /24s (equivalents) per year and a maximum delegation rate of 1000 TLDs per year, of which it is unlikely than a significant percentage will use more than one or two anycast prefixes from the AfriNIC region (if any), I personally don't think the new gTLD program is likely to significantly change the IPv4 consumption rate at AfriNIC.

Regards,
-drc