[AFRINIC-rpd] policy amendment proposal

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Nov 27 01:03:43 UTC 2012

On Nov 26, 2012, at 16:24 , Stephen Wilcox <steve.wilcox at ixreach.com> wrote:

> As a long time lurker on this list, I thought this thread is quite similar to a discussion I got involved in at ARIN (FYI I myself am based in the RIPE region).
>
> My opinion was that I couldn't understand the need for specific policies for these "critical infrastructures" .. I also questioned the criticalness of .foobar but thats really beside the point.
>
> Most TLDs are operated by professional organizations - there's quite a few of them, you probably know at least one of two of them. I would assume these orgs have sufficient address space for their operations and probably most new TLDs will sit on the same servers and perhaps addresses as the existing ones. If they pay their operator for diversity I assume the operator will assign addresses to them from their unused pool.

As was explained at the ARIN meeting, this is an incorrect assumption. To avoid fate sharing, the professional operators tend to use 2-8 /24s per TLD for anycast prefixes.

They do not tend to mix and match zones across /24s.

> In other words, all this infrastructure is already out there, the organizations most likely to need space already have space - so what issue is being solved?

You really should talk to some of these organizations (e.g. Neustar, Affilias) before making such statements. It was their clarifications at the microphone in the ARIN meeting which informed my statements here.

> The problem in this IPv4 depleted age is everyone has reasons to want more v4 and once you open the flood gates they're hard to close.

That is why I oppose further opening the flood gates with this policy unless there are strict limitations.

Owen