[AFRINIC-rpd] policy amendment proposal

Stephen Wilcox steve.wilcox at ixreach.com
Tue Nov 27 00:24:08 UTC 2012

As a long time lurker on this list, I thought this thread is quite similar
to a discussion I got involved in at ARIN (FYI I myself am based in the
RIPE region).

My opinion was that I couldn't understand the need for specific policies
for these "critical infrastructures" .. I also questioned the criticalness
of .foobar but thats really beside the point.

Most TLDs are operated by professional organizations - there's quite a few
of them, you probably know at least one of two of them. I would assume
these orgs have sufficient address space for their operations and probably
most new TLDs will sit on the same servers and perhaps addresses as the
existing ones. If they pay their operator for diversity I assume the
operator will assign addresses to them from their unused pool.

In other words, all this infrastructure is already out there, the
organizations most likely to need space already have space - so what issue
is being solved?

Now I am not familiar with the hosting arrangements of all the ccTLDs of
Africa (as distinct from new ICANN TLDs etc), but I'd be curious to look at
these organizations and see if there is a widespread issue that needs
solving or maybe one or two corner cases that sparked this.

The problem in this IPv4 depleted age is everyone has reasons to want more
v4 and once you open the flood gates they're hard to close.

HTH
Steve

On 26 November 2012 16:01, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:

> SM,
>
> On Nov 26, 2012, at 3:28 PM, SM <sm at resistor.net> wrote:
> > Could someone please explain what's critical about such strings?
>
> What is critical about any TLD that justifies the allocation of provider
> independent address space from an RIR?
>
> Regards,
> -drc

Director / Founder
IX Reach Ltd
E: steve.wilcox at ixreach.com
M: +44 7966 048633
Tempus Court, Bellfield Road, High Wycombe, HP13 5HA, UK.