[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: Draft Policy Proposal: No Reverse Unless Assigned ID: AFPUB-2012-DNS-001-DRAFT-01

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 17:28:44 UTC 2012

Greetings to all in Sudan and elsewhere,

This policy proposal has had very limited discussion and no suggested
tweaks either on the mailing list or from the minutes of the last
meeting.

Some of you may recall that I proposed this as a "strawman" to get us
talking about how to enforce the registration of assignments in WHOIS.

I still feel that it might be one way to force compliance with
existing policy, but as i said in the Gambia, it is the "nuclear
option".

Here is a summary of my remarks (from the minutes):

"He stated
that the proposal’s main motivation is to encourage members to enter
assignments in the whois db as
it’s mandated by policy to do so. He stated that the whoisdb is a
public network information database,
so is supposed to have info about all public networks, so that
operators can contact each other in case
of any issues.

He stated that members don’t register assignments as they should and
this is a best practice and that
the solution so far is not to  not  issue an  additional allocation
till  80% of assignments have been
registered. This has a disadvantage that during the time of requesting
an additional allocation,
assignment info (that should be public) is not publicly unavailable
and if LIRs won’t need an allocation,
this data will never exist.

The author presented data from  AfriNIC, showing that more than 60% of
ISPs have registered
assignments, but at least close to 40% have not registered any single
assignment.

McTim stated that he is happy to modify the proposal as necessary if
the PDWG thinks there are other
ways to encourage LIRs to register  assignments. He also stated that
he is  happy to withdraw it if
community feels it’s too harsh. The author also  briefly discussed the
importance of rDNS the
consequences of its non-availability on operational networks."

In short, we need lots more discussion on this proposal.

Is this an issue the pdwg wants to address? (I just can't stop it with
that bad pun, sorry)

I would very much like to see an estimate of the amount of work this
would put on the Registration Services Team, and note that the PDWG
co-chair has asked for such an impact assessment.

Perhaps the AfriNIC Ops team could monitor the DNS servers to
determine how many queries were made to reverse zones that had no
assignments registered for those /24's?  In other words, we know that
40% of allocations have no assignments in them, but we don't know how
many active /24's are being used that haven't been registered as
assigned.

--
Cheers,

McTim