[AFRINIC-rpd] whois.afrinic.net leaks passwords

Emilio Madaio emadaio at ripe.net
Fri Nov 23 11:52:55 UTC 2012

Hi SM,
  thank you for the clarification and the details.

Yes, you are right, some ideas for a policy proposal were posted in the
Database WG by David Freedman. Said ideas never made it to the PDP,
though, because the RIPE community preferred a strictly technical
solution instead.

The original post is available at
http://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/db-wg/2011-November/003819.html

After the ensuing community discussion, the RIPE NCC proposed the
technical solution you can read about at:
http://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/db-wg/2011-November/003826.html

In this post you can also find the reference to the RIPE Labs article I
already mentioned.

Following further community discussion, the technical solution was
approved, as announced in
http://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/db-wg/2012-January/003857.html

Since then, we implement what described in the RIPE Labs article that I
reference again here for simplicity:
https://labs.ripe.net/Members/denis/securing-md5-hashes-in-the-ripe-database

I hope this clarify everything.

If you have any further question, please do not hesitate to ask
Regards
Emilio