[AFRINIC-rpd] Update to Proposal "AFRINIC Whois Database Clean-up"

Ernest - (AfriNIC) ernest at afrinic.net
Tue Oct 16 10:29:23 UTC 2012

Colleagues,

The author of the proposal "AFRINIC Whois Database Clean-up" has
submitted a first revision to the proposal, available at:

https://www.afrinic.net/en/library/policies/policy-proposals/776-afrinic-whois-database-clean-up

Proposal text follows:

Unique identifier: AFPUB-2012-GEN-001-DRAFT-02
Draft Policy Name: AFRINIC Whois Database Clean-up
Author: Jean Robert Hountomey

1.0 Summary of the Problem Being Addressed by this Policy Proposal

The African network infrastructure is growing with changes and
extensions. This growth has brought changes in telecommunication and
Internet infrastructure.

With the emergence of new operators, mergers and acquisitions, the
dynamism brought by the penetration of Internet technology has
required organizational changes with job rotation. The need for
accurate whois data has been in the news for years all over the world.

Inaccurate data is still present in the AfriNIC whois database
because changes have occurred in organizations (point of contact,
contact information etc.) and object owners have not updated their
records. The result is a “No response” from “whois” contacts listed
in the AfriNIC Database.

2.0  Summary of How this Proposal Addresses the Problem

This proposal asks AfriNIC to maintain accuracy through a
periodical database clean up. Furthermore, at least once a year or
at the renewal of resources, AfriNIC staff should conduct a whois
database information validation.

3.0 The Proposal

AfriNIC members are committed through the RSA to maintain their data
and keep it accurate.  AfriNIC will then maintain accuracy of whois
information through periodical database clean up.

3.1 Cleanup

3.1.1 General Database Cleanup: At the ratification of this policy,
AfriNIC staff will conduct a first cleanup by asking all POC present
except those who received their objects in less than a year to
confirm their POC information. We leave to AfriNIC staff the
discretion to use any communication tool they find useful for this
action.

3.1.2 Annual Clean up: After the first cleanup, AfriNIC will conduct
a cleanup one time a year. We leave to AfriNIC's staff to define the
period.

3.1.3 At the request of additional resources or services, AfriNIC
staff will ask the organization to update its records.

3.2 Steps

3.2.1 AfriNIC staff will ask members to confirm accuracy of their
records in the Whois database in a month’s timeframe when contacted
by email.

3.2.2 After one month, AfriNIC Staff will use any communication
tools at their discretion to contact those who have not answered or
those whose email has bounced back.

3.2.3 After a month of unresponsive response, the record will be
marked invalid.

3.2.4 AfriNIC may publish a report twice a year about number
resources with invalid POC.

3.2.5 One year after the first contact initiation, if the data is
still not accurate and the organization has failed to respond to the
call to resolve the
data inconsistency, AfriNIC will claim the number resources back.

4.0 Situation within other RIRs

ARIN conducts an annual POC (point of contact) validation process:
https://www.arin.net/resources/services/poc_validation.html

At APNIC, there was a similar policy proposed that did not reach
consensus and was withdrawn by the author.
http://www.apnic.net/__data/assets/file/0006/22857/prop-084-v002.txt

Regards,
Ernest