[AFRINIC-rpd] policy amendment proposal

ALAIN AINA aalain at trstech.net
Sun Sep 23 08:43:53 UTC 2012

Hmmm. I thought our PDP clearly said that the policy discussion is opened   to the global Internet community :-)

> On Sep 18, 2012, at 2:03 PM, Frank Habicht <geier at geier.ne.tz> wrote:
>> [1] Summary of the Problem Being Addressed by this Policy Proposal:
>> removal of restriction to DNS-root server operators for IPv4 PI policy,
>
> I'd say "loosening" as opposed to "removal".
>
>> critical infrastructure criteria, in order to also include ccTLD and
>> possibly significant SLDs
>>
>> [2] Summary of How this Proposal Addresses the Problem:
>> removal of restrictive wording
>>
>> [3] Proposal (Please use sub-numbering so as to make it easy to reference
>> in discussions)
>>
>> 3.1.
>> I propose to replace the definition at the end of the document:
>> "Core DNS service provider:
>> A core DNS service provider is a company who provides DNS service for the
>> root level of the DNS tree (ICANN-sanctioned root operators)."
>> with
>> "Core DNS service provider:
>> A core DNS service provider is a company who provides DNS service for any
>> ccTLD int he AfriNIC service region or any significant SLD as determined by
>> AfriNIC staff."
>
> I'd be hesitant to put AfriNIC staff in the position of subjectively determining whether an SLD is "significant" or not. You probably want objective criteria for transparency and avoidance of politics.
>
> Since it is (relatively) easy to change unicast addresses even for TLDs, would it be worthwhile to limit the allocation of TLD PI space to those who are deploying anycast?  This might encourage anycast deployment for TLDs in the AfriNIC region which I personally think would be a good thing.

I support this and there is an anycast assignment proposal under discussion http://www.afrinic.net/en/library/policies/policy-proposals/701-anycast-assignments-in-the-afrinic-region.

As the plan is  to loosen a bit the  definition of core "DNS service provider", why "remove root DNS operators" who benefit  from  this policy for their anycast operations in our region and why exclude gTLDs ?

 how does this below text sound  ?

=====
"Core DNS service provider:
A core DNS service provider is a organization who provides DNS services for any TLD or the root level of the DNS tree (ICANN-sanctioned root operators) in the AfriNIC service region."
=====

--Alain