[AFRINIC-rpd] policy amendment proposal

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 07:23:41 UTC 2012

Frank,
Because AFAIK our current PDP doesn't sufficiently cover the process
of amendment, I would rather your policy obsoletes AFPUB-2006-GEN-001
rather than amend it.

This would mean having complete text in the draft proposal (can be
copied over). The proposed text getting a unique id, and mention of
obsoleting AFPUB-2006-GEN-001 is included in the new text.

The benefits of this is that I get to read one document for the entire
policy rather than move between many, and also the fact that if any
other changes (now or in the future) have to be effected, it can be
done without being messy.

Regards,
On 19 September 2012 00:03, Frank Habicht <geier at geier.ne.tz> wrote:
> ------------------------[Proposal Header]-----------------------
>
> Unique identifier (assigned by AFRINIC):
>

>  Draft Policy Name: update_AFPUB-2006-GEN-001
>  Author(s)
>       (a) Frank Habicht | geier at geier.ne.tz | Tanzania IXP (TIX)
>

>  Draft Policy Version
>

>  Submission Date: 19/09/2012
>
>  Related Policies: AFPUB-2006-GEN-001
>  Obsoletes
>  Amends:    AFPUB-2006-GEN-001
>

> ------------------------[Proposal Header]-----------------------
>

> [1] Summary of the Problem Being Addressed by this Policy Proposal:
> removal of restriction to DNS-root server operators for IPv4 PI policy,
> critical infrastructure criteria, in order to also include ccTLD and
> possibly significant SLDs
>
> [2] Summary of How this Proposal Addresses the Problem:
> removal of restrictive wording
>
> [3] Proposal (Please use sub-numbering so as to make it easy to reference
> in discussions)
>
> 3.1.
> I propose to replace the definition at the end of the document:
> "Core DNS service provider:
>  A core DNS service provider is a company who provides DNS service for the
> root level of the DNS tree (ICANN-sanctioned root operators)."
> with
> "Core DNS service provider:
>  A core DNS service provider is a company who provides DNS service for any
> ccTLD int he AfriNIC service region or any significant SLD as determined by
> AfriNIC staff."
>
> 3.2.
> I assume and understand this has always been the intention, I just believe
> the current wording is too restrictive.
>

> 5.0 References
>
> http://www.afrinic.net/en/library/policies/current/127-policy-for-end-user-assignments-in-afrinic-service-region

Douglas Onyango | +256(0712)981329 | Twitter: @ondouglas
Life is the educator's practical joke in which you spend the first
half learning, and the second half learning that everything you
learned in the first was a joke.