[AFRINIC-rpd] only root is critical DNS?

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Tue Sep 18 20:16:24 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 22:30 +0300, Frank Habicht wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> in
> http://www.afrinic.net/en/library/policies/current/127-policy-for-end-user-assignments-in-afrinic-service-region
>
> under critical infrastructure it says
> "
> Core DNS service provider:
>  A core DNS service provider is a company who provides DNS service for the
> root level of the DNS tree (ICANN-sanctioned root operators).
> "
>
> I once-upon-a-time thought ccTLDs (within the AfriNIC service region(?))
> should also be included. (and that the number of root operators was limited)

Reading the policy - a few paragraphs above - it states:

        AfriNIC will make End-User assignment to critical infrastructure
        providers of the Internet such as public exchange points and
        core DNS service providers.

...so the policy does not limit itself to 'root level' operators - of
which none live natively in our region (if you are referring explicitly
to 'dot').

In practice (from my experience), its taken as including ccTLD
operators. I believe that CO.ZA also technically falls under this
category. For COZA, this will be less grey as UniForum changes into the
ZACR (South African Central Registry).

Might instead be a worthwhile challenge to 'dual-stack' the proposal -
ie - include IPv6 into the mix? This policy came into being before
AfriNIC allowed /48's of IPv6 into the wild (AFPUB-2007-v6-001, 13 Jul.
2007).