[AfriNIC-rpd] Definitions of LIR versus End User

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 08:49:36 UTC 2012

Hello Owen

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 8:34 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> .... I find it *very hard* to distinguish between the type of service
> offered to students/faculties residing within
> *institutional housing *and getting their internet access in said housing
> from the institution vs. a typical cable *MSO or DSL or Metro-E subscriber
> *
> in the outside world.
>
> Its really interesting that you found it difficult to distinguish between
the two scenario even as it seem you have already made the distinct
difference in your statement above. The words you used(in bold) clarifies
that, like you said institutional housing just indicates that it is still
within the same organization however the DSL or Metro-E subscriber exists
beyond the same organization

> That all sounds wonderful on a billboard or in a brochure, but at the end
> of
> the day, when it comes to the internet access they receive in their
> *institutional housing*, they are giving the *university money* and the
> university is providing access services to connect their residential
> networks to the internet.
>
>  Is it based on the above that universities be clasified as LIR?  Let me
ask you, who among the end-user does not use the Internet services with the
aim of making money? university is the one that provides Internet access to
her community at almost zero charges because they use it to promote
research activities and encourage their staff and student to provide
content.

On a lighter note, i thought it was already clear that institutions that
provides IP resource within her organization are end-user? If yes then
there should be no reason to continue this discussion. Perhaps it may help
to hear from any institution that recently applied for resource from
Afrinic on what classification they were assigned. i.e was it classified as
end-user OR LIR
@Andrew could you be kind to tell us what clssification you got in your
recent request for ip resource from Afrinic(that is if there is no
non-disclosure clause attached).

Regards

*Seun Ojedeji,
Federal University Oye-Ekiti