[AfriNIC-rpd] Definitions of LIR versus End User

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 16:03:11 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 9:03 AM, Nii Narku Quaynor <quaynor at ghana.com>wrote:

> A suggestion may be that the board consider a new fee structure for end
> users separately based on allocation ?
>
> This is a suggestion that i clearly identify with; and which now makes me
think maybe changing the fee structure could help...nevertheless  i still
think the main issue is about clarifying where an institution fall as that
was what brought about this long thread in the first place, if we say price
review for end-user is a possible way forward, does this mean it is agreed
that institution that uses its IP solely within her organisation is an
end-user?
If we are to apply a price review, will it be upward review of the end-user
IP allocation? well may i request we strongly put into consideration
Africa's specific economic challenge in the review process.

Regards

> Nii
> On Jul 22, 2012, at 6:31, SM <sm at resistor.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi Duncan,
> > At 08:07 21-07-2012, Duncan Martin wrote:
> >> I asked how AfriNIC's promotion of good numbering practice demands the
> present fee strucutre for End-Users and LIRs.  I hypothesised that it
> doesn't.  In three postings
> >
> > A Local Internet Registry is allocated a block of IP addresses which it
> assigns to its customers.  An End-User is assigned a block of IP addresses
> for internal use.  The difference between the two is that the LIR is doing
> business by reassigning IP addresses and it charges its customers for that.
> >
> > The fee structure can be changed by making a proposal at an Annual
> General Meeting.  If the fees for End-Users is increased significantly it
> will adversely affect universities.
> >
> > Regards,
> > -sm

*Seun Ojedeji,