[AfriNIC-rpd] Definitions of LIR versus End User

Sunday Folayan sfolayan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 19:36:53 UTC 2012

All of this exercise at definitions and ambiguity discoveries points to a
total warp in the afrinic fee structure. That is what needs equitable
review, not definitions.

My 1 micro-lira.

SF.

On 13 Jul 2012 08:13, "Guy Antony Halse" <G.halse at ru.ac.za> wrote:

Hi

On Wed 2012-07-11 (20:12), Seun Ojedeji wrote:
> end-user:
> An end-user is an organization receivi...
When coupled with the definition of LIR:

> > A Local Internet Registry (LIR) is an IR that receives allocations from
> > an RIR and primaril...
this creates exactly the sort of ambiguity I referred to previously.

There exists the potential for an organisation that neither uses its IP
assignments *exclusively* for its internal use, nor *primarily* assigns
address space to end-users.  (Note the emphasised words.)  From the
discussions, most universities come to mind.

Ergo (at least some) universities are neither end-users nor LIRs.

Which is why I think that end-user should be !(LIR || RIR).

- Guy
--
Systems Manager, IT Division, Rhodes University, Grahamstown, South Africa
Email: G.Halse...