[AfriNIC-rpd] Policy Proposal: End user classification for Universities

Guy Antony Halse G.halse at ru.ac.za
Sat Jun 30 15:58:01 UTC 2012

On Sat 2012-06-30 (02:36), Owen DeLong wrote:
> You have not met the burden of proving in what way this is distinct from a
> cable company or other ISP delivering service to any other apartment

I was about to compose a detailed reply explaining exactly why my, and most
South African, institutions are nothing like a commercial ISP with explicit
references to policy, contracts & documentation.

However, whilst academically interesting, I realise this discussion has
gotten way, way off topic.  Thus I think it is more succinct to agree to
disagree, since the current debate has no longer has bearing on the original
proposal.

Andrew proposed a policy.  The only discussion about the policy itself has
revealed that the (spoken) consensus is that the policy as proposed is
probably not necessary.  Instead, Duncan Martin has been suggested that an
alternate policy generically clarifying the definitions of an LIR and EU
might be more appropriate.  (I happen to agree with him.)

- Guy
--
Systems Manager, IT Division, Rhodes University, Grahamstown, South Africa
Email: G.Halse at ru.ac.za   Web: http://mombe.org/  IRC: rm-rf at irc.atrum.org