[AfriNIC-rpd] Policy Proposal: End user classification for Universities

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jun 29 18:46:46 UTC 2012

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 29, 2012, at 12:44, Andrew Alston <alston.networks at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>
> On Jun 29, 2012, at 12:39 AM, Guy Antony Halse wrote:
>
> > On Thu 2012-06-28 (17:48), Owen DeLong wrote:
> >>   In actual fact, a University IS an LIR and the fees ARE warranted IMHO.
> >
> > This might be a moot point, but I think you are making the mistake of taking
> > the structure of North American and/or European universities and assuming
> > that it applies universally.  In the process, you're confusing the concepts
> > of academic freedom and autonomy.
> >
> > In South Africa (I can't speak for other countries) the faculties of a
> > university enjoy academic freedom (in fact, it is protected constitutionally
> > and legally through Act 101 of 1997), but they do not have autonomy.  There
> > is a single Institutional Statute that defines a public higher educational
> > institution, and a single resulting governance structure.
>
> Perhaps, but perhaps not...
>
> Perhaps universities do provide connectivity to their student and/or faculty
> residential facilities and the networks within those facilities are owned,
> managed, and operated by the individual resident(s) and not the university's
> IT staff.
>
> If you are telling me that the above is not the case throughout all of Africa,
> then I will accept that I do, indeed, have a potentially misguided concept of
> what universities do in Africa.
>
> Owen
>
> That is not the case in any university I have dealt with in South Africa, and thats pretty much all of them.  Don't know about the rest of the universities in Africa, but the residence networks in South African universities are deployed, operated and managed by the IT departments.  The IT departments also own all the switching and routing gear involved and manage it.
>
> Andrew

Really? How is it that you prevent students from adding their own linksys or nether NAT routers to connect a number of devices to that one port the university provides in each dorm?

If you're actually providing whatever number of ports the students require in each room, I'm impressed and surprised. If not, then you're an LIR whether you realize it or not.