[AfriNIC-rpd] Policy Proposal: End user classificationfor Universities

Duncan Martin ceo at tenet.ac.za
Fri Jun 29 07:25:10 UTC 2012

Hi All,
Universities are undoubtedly special, and this is recognised in the special discount scheme that was agreed some years back in an important agreement between AfriNIC and the Association of African Universities (AAU).
However I don't see why universities are different or special when it comes to knowing which of them are numbering their campus networks as End-Users and which of them are acting as LIRs that provide services and assign prefixes to other independent entities and are responsible for aggregating routes within a large allocation from AfriNIC.
Do we really need special End-User and LIR polcies for univertsities?  Or do we just need to clarify for ourselves generally how the rights and obligations of End-Users differ from those of LIRs?
Then the only grounds for AfriNIC's insisting that an organisation must register as a LIR rather than as an End-User would be that it is acting as or intends to act as a LIR.
Duncan Martin
TENET