[AfriNIC-rpd] Policy Proposal: End user classification for Universities

Guy Antony Halse G.halse at ru.ac.za
Thu Jun 28 19:18:30 UTC 2012

Hi

On Thu 2012-06-28 (22:49), Arthur Carindal wrote:
> I advocate that you wait patiently until we finish working on your request
> prior to debate on AFRINIC's position.  As per the process AFRNIC supports
> all of its decisions with policy when responding officially to a member's
> request.

I think that this is a sensible suggestion and a reasonable request.

However, this matter is of interest to a number of South African public
higher educational institutions (and quite likely those in other African
countries too).  Universities, by their very nature, tend to be comparably
large organisations and run very large networks.  They're also considerably
different to traditional businesses, be they ISPs or otherwise, and their
governance structures vary widely from country to country.  Thus anything
that starts drawing a distinction between LIR and end-entity based on the
size of the requested address space or perceived structure of the academic
environment will be of interest and concern to most universities.

For this reason, can I ask that AfriNIC (or, failing that, the institution
concerned) make the final decision on this request, together with the
reasoning behind it, available.  (The request is already mostly public.)
Doing that would go a long way to establishing whether or not this debate is
even necessary.

- Guy
--
Systems Manager, IT Division, Rhodes University, Grahamstown, South Africa
Email: G.Halse at ru.ac.za   Web: http://mombe.org/  IRC: rm-rf at irc.atrum.org