[AfriNIC-rpd] Policy Proposal: End user classification for Universities

James Blessing jblessing at llnw.com
Thu Jun 28 15:32:23 UTC 2012

On 28 June 2012 16:29, Andrew Alston <alston.networks at gmail.com> wrote:
> The argument here is that a university has faculties and departments and
> also provides services to students, and apparently that makes them an LIR.
>  I argue that faculties and departments that are managed by central IT are
> exactly like any organization that has business units within itself, and
> qualifies as an end user.

Okay,

I've just looked up the fees on
http://www.afrinic.net/index.php/en/services/registration-services/273-membership-fees

Section 2b

"AFRINIC will apply a 50% discount to organisations which justify that
they are official Academic or Research Institutions in their countries
and demonstrate the exclusive use of assigned/allocated resources for
not-for profit academic or research activities. In most cases, such
members fall under the End-site category. Academic and Education sites
which will request to be LIRs must be requested to provide further
documentation in regard to their network infrastructure and to the
need for assignments to other organisations other than their own.
AFRINIC may seek the African Association of University (AAU) advice on
this category of member"

This seems to imply that Universities would be automatically classed
as end users and expect to prove they are LIRs with extra
documentation, or I am I misreading it?

James Blessing
+44 7989 039 476
Strategic Relations Manager, EMEA