[AfriNIC-rpd] Questions about legacy space

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 08:50:35 UTC 2012

> So this is space grandfathered to Afrinic via RIPE or pure legacy space?
>
> Thats an interesting question, we know the space was in use in 95 already,
my understanding is that the space was originally allocated before the
existence of arin, the records of all that space was then managed by arin
and then "transferred" to afrinic, but the actual allocation of it
pre-dates arin making it pure legacy?

Going back that far its hard to actually determine the whole thing step by
step.

> Sounds like a simple administration change - who's database is the
> information in?
>
> There are records in AfriNIC for legacy space.

> Thereby hangs a tail... the space isn't "owned" by anyone. IP
> addresses aren't an asset (and if they suddenly become one a lot of
> peoples accounting records need to be restated to reflect this) and as
> such can't be owned. If I had camped on 1.0.0.0/8 for the last 20
> years and "got away" with using it would I own it?
>
> Now, thats where things get interesting.  Is legacy space an asset,  The
sale of legacy address space to microsoft by nortel would seem to indicate
there IS an asset there.  I'd prefer if that wasn't the case but there is
some precedent there...

> Is there a policy to bring legacy space into the Afrinic db? If so
> then surely this should be used and any errors corrected in the
> process (if its already in the system its just a records update)
>
> As far as I know, AfriNICs policies are pretty silent on legacy space at
the moment.