[AfriNIC-rpd] NomCom at AFRINIC-16

Jean Robert Hountomey jrhountomey at gmail.com
Tue May 22 15:55:19 UTC 2012

 > The elections process should give many options. If I can E-vote, i
must have reasons to issue a proxy if i am not attending the AGM.
 > Can you or anyone explain why an evote does not completely remove any
need for proxies?

1- What I can see as an explanation is the case in some African
Countries where Internet Connectivity can be down for more than 3 days
(without backup) or the connection can be unreliable for some time. But
we can solve this if we open the e-voting for one or two weeks before
the Physical voting.
But if members want proxy. Let's add it.

2- Assign the NomCom the task to make sure that

- All nominees are treated fairly and equally
- All parties understand appropriate campaign activities and required
actions
- Members have sufficient information to make choices in elections

3- Campaign
- NomCom asks AfriNIC to provide a space for Campaign activities
- NomCom can draft a questionnaire to candidate and publish the answers
in the election page.
- No paid advertising space in AfriNIC and African Internet Summit
publications.
- Prohibit the use of AfriNIC membership lists in any form.
- Give equal time to candidate to speak at the AfriNIC meeting one day
before the physical voting day. e-Voting can close at 11.59 UTC that day.

Ethical Expectations
Nominee may create and publish their own web site and ask NomCom to link
it to their candidate profile for interaction with AfriNIC members.
NomCom may provide links to the nominees' website
No other individual, institutional, or organizational websites shall be
used for campaigning purposes.