[AfriNIC-rpd] NomCom at AFRINIC-16

Sunday Folayan sfolayan at gmail.com
Tue May 22 15:24:32 UTC 2012

Gift, Walu, Adiel, McTim and all,

Thanks Adiel for the useful intervention and redirection. I am typing with
a big thumb on a small screen so ... torturous, I can only summarize my
thoughts.

I will add and remind us that:

1. Elections are not perfect. The best may not win, but who best appeals to
sentiments.

2. People vote for those they can follow, not those with the brightest
credentials. We must respect this.

3. A strong rejection of one well-known candidate in the ballot may benefit
another, even if its a relatively unknown candidate.

4. We must always allow the majority their way, but give the minority their
say. Counting to the last member is desirable but unrealistic.

5. Members  must get as much info, and be left to decide according to their
conscience.

6. The fight was proxy, single-cross and double cross in gambia, but with
e-voting, it may be trust anchor, key size or internet bandwidth, so ...

7. The community will keep refining its rules and processes, but those who
lose elections must always be gracious in conceding defeat.

8. There are zillion ways of serving the community. Let people explore them.

I think Gambia was historic in organization and rich in meetings and
trainings. Let us ack this and not glorify the layer 9 issues.

Cheers.

SF.