[AfriNIC-rpd] NomCom at AFRINIC-16

gift gift at itibots.com
Tue May 22 13:37:06 UTC 2012

Hi McTim

Companies operate in terms of a Companies Act. In the case of Afrinic
the Companies Act of Mauritius 2001. The act prescribes how companies
operate as a minimum in many areas such as member relations, appointment
of management and directors and the type nad conduct of company
meetings. The proxies fall under procedure and conduct of meetings. It
is a statutory requirement to hold an annual general meeting (face to
face meeting).  It is mandatory to issue all members/shareholders with a
notice for the AGM and in the notice members who are entitled to attend
are advised of their option to appoint a proxy to attend and vote on
their behalf if they so wish. The proxy form is also availed with
details of the filing time table. So in essence as long as there is need
to hold a face to face meeting (AGM) there is no way of doing away with
proxies. I sense a general dislike for proxies but we cant just wish
them away. I can bet you even in developed countries technology has not
been able to knock out statutory meetings and what ever goes with them
such as proxies. By the way proxies are just not to vote for elections
but any other resolutions. In practice even if a member is present they
can still appoint a proxy for voting purposes. At an AGM even non
members (observers) are allowed to attend and not vote. It is very
common to have syndicates of like minded members giving their proxies to
one person or the Chairman even if they are present just to show
solidarity and voting power.

Hope this helps.

GS

--
Gift Shava
Financial Controller

Information Technology Integrators
www. itibots.com<http://itibots.com>

Office: +26739334779, Mobile: +26772115870
Fax: +2673170457