[AfriNIC-rpd] NomCom at AFRINIC-16

Jackson Muthili jacksonmuthi at gmail.com
Tue May 22 14:41:35 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Maina Noah <mainanoa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 May 2012 15:09, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi alain,
>>
>> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 7:31 AM, ALAIN AINA <aalain at trstech.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > The elections process should give many options. If I can E-vote, i must
>> > have reasons to issue a proxy if i am not attending the AGM.
>>
>> Can you or anyone explain why an evote does not completely remove any
>> need for proxies?
>>

> Some organizations (LIR's) are represented by one specific contact and
> suppose they are not in the position to cast the e-vote for some reason, it
> would be of great significance if they appointed a proxy to vote on their
> behalf.

it sound a problem of company contact management. it is not afrinic
problem when a member company provides one point of contact. it can be
spelt out in election policy (and afrinic's contract) that a member
company has 3 and more contacts. one contact ill does not bring
company business to halt!! simple management.

> Second the e-vote unless made simple for anyone to use, then the proxy would
> still be vital since it much simple and straight forward.

i said this already in fact e-vote system need to be simple. I see
digital cert and encryption and strict usage of a voter's PC as the
only way to vote and this means it gets uneasy to use such a system.
Make it compatible with any internet device, provide a mobile version,
simple username password login.

> Third, assuming for some reason there is some technical issues with the
> e-voting system, errors, poor Internet connections to the system, etc, then
> the only alternative would be the proxy vote. Options..Options...Options...
> things can break sometimes...we have had incidences where even those
> participating remotely can not get better audio due to poor connections..

Unless there was malicious attack from inside why can extensively
tested systems die when voting start? Afrinic have technical fluency
to deliver system that will not crap out.