[AfriNIC-rpd] NomCom at AFRINIC-16

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Tue May 22 13:00:03 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Adiel Akplogan <adiel at afrinic.net> wrote:

> Because we are in Africa and in our region you can not guaranty at 100%
> that
> people will have access to be able to vote online (there are multiple
> possible
> reasons - not only limited to availability of Internet access).

At what point exactly does paper voting system come in; i was privileged to
attend the just concluded Afrinic meeting that held in the Gambia and i
observe that the paper voting system happened just at that meeting, i.e
people were given the ballot paper and they cast their voted right there.
So if election is going electronic, anyone that is unable to cast his or
her vote before the meeting depending on when an election is declared open
i.e will it still be during the meeting, prior to the meeting or after the
meeting(although i don't think after the meeting is ideal) can cast his/her
vote during the meeting. I don't expect that the voting system will require
that much bandwidth that will make someone not be able to cast his/her vote
during the meeting.(At least Internet is guaranteed at that time)

> Further to that in a
> vote like this one you want to give as much possible options to people to
> express their choice. Limiting the means of vote can be seen restrictive.

In my opinion, there are some things that "possible options" should not be
applied and this is one of them. If we are interested eradicating any
complications, is either the system go fully electronic OR we stick to the
paper system and find a way to perfect it! Mixed voting system has never
been efficient and it will never be. Going electronic will make everything
right from the nomination, casting of vote, counting/verifying result and
eventually announcing result flawless.

> That being said if the majority want to get ride of Proxy, we will do. But
> I'm pretty
> sure (from experience) that we will soon find ourselves here discussing
> the same
> thing as soon someone will be unable to vote online because he was sick and
> unable to access his mail during the period the online voting was opened
> :-).

Well anyone that comes up with this, will better provide proof that he/she
was so sick that he could not give his/her access to someone to cast the
vote while he watches him do it on the screen :) Generally i think such
scenario will be much lesser and will create less controversies compared to
what we currently have with the current system.

Regards

*Seun Ojedeji,
Federal University Oye-Ekiti
web:      http://www.fuoye.edu.ng