[AfriNIC-rpd] NomCom at AFRINIC-16

Jackson Muthili jacksonmuthi at gmail.com
Tue May 22 06:55:38 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 9:14 AM, Badru Ntege <ntegeb at one2net.co.ug> wrote:
> Jackson
>

> On 22 May 2012, at 08:38, Jackson Muthili <jacksonmuthi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I quote your technology VS tradition remark
>>
>>> Technology will remove the need of the ballot  box and volunteers counting
>>> the vote but the rest of the process remains the same and we need to be
>>> objective and mindfull of the fact that we want to build an inclusive
>>> community.  And personally feel the current process is still very good for
>>> the community since it encourages the personal contact by candidates with
>>> the community and directly or indirectly empowers members.  This is the
>>> classic technology vs tradition debate and we need to also look at the cost
>>> benefit analysis when it comes to AfriNics mandate towards the community.
>>
>> what do you suggest?
>>
>> Are you in favor or against e-vote system?
>
> We are a resourcefull community I only pose a challenge that we need to consider as we strive to get an inclusive solution. E-vote system might solve a current situation but we should always try to put sustainable solutions in place that are in line with the community and AfriNics mandate.

In my mind e-vote is very inclusive. Afrinic meeting happen in
particular country but anyone vote from anywhere if he cant attend
meeting. How more inclusive it gets? About "personal contact" pro for
paper ballot, it seem good. But it become more bad than good when
candidate dont trust observer and nomcom and all people of integrity
who count ballot. It seem more recipe for disaster.

There is need to choose. Go e-vote and avoid controversy. Go ballot
vote with controversy marred election.

I dont like idea of both. Chhoose one. E-vote, or ballot paper.